Saturday, April 4, 2009

Floral Interpretation

Bouquets to Art is an annual fundraising event held at the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park to benefit the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. The event had just celebrated its 25th anniversary last month, and I was fortunate to have the opportunity to drop by and enjoy the creations and designs of our accomplished colleagues in the Bay Area. Of the many beautiful pieces, my favorite was designed by Rumiko Shiraishi Manako, inspired by a painting by Ed Rusha titled "A Particular Kind of Heaven". I did not attend the opening night event nor met Ms. Shiraishi in person, but was fortunate to get the permission to borrow a photo from Emma Krasov's Art and Entertain me blog showing the floral designer with her creation. In the emails I exchanged with Emma, she expressed that the floral piece "captured the spirit of Ed Rusha's painting precisely." And I could not agree more.

green and white ikebana photo by Yuri Krasov

calla ikebana photo by Karen Hsu

No comments: